CIC Association

Serving Community Enterprise

Hi,

I'm new to the CIC Association, but not to CIC's, as we have helped to register well over 100 companies as CIC's. Looking to see what I can glean from the people involved in running various CIC's here such that we are then able to better advise and support people looking to start up.

Robin

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robin.    My project Waste not Want not is a registered Sociaal Enterprise and we are seeking to become CIC.   We have ben quoted £3000 to register by solicitor which is totally beyond our resouces.

I have downloaded a lot of informnation bit I don't feel very much wiser.   I am based in Hertfordshire normally but presently in Iran till 7.3.11.

I have been unable to download model articles of associations as internet seems very erratic here.

Any help that you are able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

£3k is surely a little steep, should we organise an Association service delivered by members?

-----

Hi Robin.    My project Waste not Want not is a registered Sociaal Enterprise and we are seeking to become CIC.   We have ben quoted £3000 to register by solicitor which is totally beyond our resouces.

I have downloaded a lot of informnation bit I don't feel very much wiser.   I am based in Hertfordshire normally but presently in Iran till 7.3.11.

I have been unable to download model articles of associations as internet seems very erratic here.

Any help that you are able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds a horrendous amount of money to register! I didn't pay a penny! Whilst I do have a legal background, it's really quite straightforward once you get it sorted....

The thing to do if you want to draft your own Arts etc...is to be clear about your aims to start with and work from there. The basic documents are online - and it's a case of wading through them and being clear about your objectives. I was quoted £800.00 but did all the work myself and saved a lot of money, but it was a challenge, even with a legal background.

I would say that the majority of reasonably bright people could do this  - so long as you do it in manageable stages. There are people out there who might help for nothing....

Thanks so much Terri for your cfomments and your encouragement.

For today, at leqast I have better internet connection and will try to make a start.

I really so appreciate tour help.

Best wishes Isobel Barnes

Three grand is a bit excessive alright. You can register it yourself if you can get the documents together and know what you are doing. Companies House fee is £20 and the CIC Regulator’s fee is an extra £15. We charge £163 (including VAT) to provide all the documents and do the lot. Happy to help by email or phone. Website www.orderedmanagement.co.uk.

Thanks Robin.   IAs hyou know I am away at present but will contact our manangemrent group re your splendid offer on my return.

I suspect they will be biting your hand off.

Thanks for your help Isobel

Hi Robin,

Yes you're right in that most people can do this themselves with a bit of effort, which may make you redundant! Seriously though, £163.00 including VAT isn't bad at all, given the time-consuming effort required. One point though: I presume that the recipient/client would have to submit a mission-statement/list of Objects in order for you to pummel into some form??

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was once I'd collated everything.

You may find my note on 'How to register a CIC' useful:

http://www.geofcox.info/files/How%20to%20Register%20a%20CIC.pdf

It's easy to do the registering bit yourself but there is a catch - the model Articles for CICs are not good for all circumstances.  For example, various modifications can make a CIC more grant-fundable, or indeed more commercially-fundable, or more democratic, or community-focused, or... lots of things!  Sometimes, in probing these areas with a good advisor, you'll find that a CIC is not the optimal structure at all.

Although you can do it yourself, I would snap Robin's hand off for doing the registration forms for you at that price (in fact I'm going to contact him myself to see if we can work together in future!) - but this will I'm sure only give you a 'model' constitution, so bear in mind the caveat that when you actually come to raise funds, or involve other stakeholders, or in any number of other situations, you may well have to modify your basic CIC structure.

SROI in action :-)

Thanks so muh for your helpful advice.   I shall certainly take good note.

I have alreay emailed our manangement group suggesting we bite Robin's hand off but will have to wait a while untill further discussion on my return to England.

Thanks again Isobel Barnes

Good comment.

We can be flexible about the form of the articles, but we obviously need to know the intended aims.

RSS

Groups

From Funding Central

Events

© 2019   Created by John Mulkerrin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service